The Mediterranean style in interior design is characterized by simple and romantic aesthetics of Southern European countries: light and warm tones in color scheme, as well as the extensive use of natural materials such as ceramics, wood, wrought iron and cotton. At Blucap Interiors, we try to integrate biophilic elements such as plants and water reminiscent of a natural pond due to the lack of barriers and wild vegetation creates a beautiful and soothing into the interiors of your home.
Design combines boldness, simplicity and convenience. Therefore, it could be used in both house or apartment design. If you want to fill your dwelling with the sunny romance of Spain, the abundance of warm colors of Italy, the marine freshness of Greece and the spices of Morocco, the decoration in Mediterranean style will surely become the embodiment of all the above.The daily life on the south coast of Europe, that is full of relaxed and cheerful atmosphere, is reflected in the design of this style: from light outdoor furniture to wooden, forged and stone decor elements (originating in Italy). Each country in this region is has their own typical color palette, fabrics and textures in the design, but there are still much more common features. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Design of the apartment: distinctive features
- This design tends toward colors inspired by the sun. The key to recreating the atmosphere of this style is the correct selection of the color for walls, flooring, furniture and fabrics. Look for inspiration in the blue, turquoise, lavender shades of the sea, the lush flowering of plants, the warm sands of the coast, and the coolness of the cloudy sky. If you don’t like cool shades, give preference to terracotta, olive, red, pink and deep yellow “sunny” colors.
- Finishing, furniture and accessories should be exclusively of natural and reliable materials: wood, wrought iron, glass, stone. Their natural, cold tones need to be diluted with bright textiles: cushions, rugs and bedding.
- Interior design in the Mediterranean style allows for ceramic tiles floors that can be warmed with a soft mat. It is also possible to use laminate wood or rough bleached wooden planks.
- Curtains of light, airy fabric will dilute the rudeness of natural furniture. A light simple pattern is also allowed. It is strictly impossible to use curtains with lambrequins, tassels and drapery. Forged cornice will be a good decoration.
- Ceiling should be high. Its optimal color palette consists of a matte sand, beige, milky shade. Ideally, the ceilings are decorated with massive wooden beams.
- Wall-paper and wall cladding are not typical for south coast houses. It is enough to plaster the walls and paint them in a light shade.
- When choosing accessories, you should remember that they must be functional, otherwise you risk to overload the interior with unnecessary details. Apartment in Mediterranean style does not tolerate too much of things. This style is known for its unpretentious beauty, functionality and conciseness. Remember that pretentiousness and luxury are completely alien in it.
- Creative approach to the design of a home can be expressed using a detailed wall texture and furniture upholstery.
- Design of a Mediterranean-style apartment looks more complete if there are mosaic elements in it. To do this, you need small or chipped ceramic tiles or a set of mirrors. You can use the mosaic inside and outside the house, as well as in the kitchen, in the pool area and in the hallway. If you want to add a little playfulness to the room, then you can use it in any corner of the apartment or house. For example, when making an apron in the kitchen.
Mediterranean-style kitchen: things to consider when designing
The kitchen is the heart of the house In all the Mediterranean countries. Residents of the Mediterranean are very serious about cooking, so the kitchen should be spacious and well-planned. The basis of the interior is an archaic simplicity. All furniture should be antique or imitate it:
- stand-alone cabinets and cupboards with the effect of aging;
- Black wrought iron tables and chairs;
- old wicker chairs, baskets, and boxes.
- Large dining table for 4-6 people for a comfortable meal.
- Choose natural wood cabinets with ceramic tiles on the wall, glass inserts and metal fittings.
- Chairs. You can choose a set of wooden chairs with wide backs or elegant metal frames and soft seats. The chairs upholstered with cotton or linen plaid fabric will look harmoniously.
- The interior of the Mediterranean-style kitchen allows for a wooden cupboard with open shelves filled with beautiful accessories (bright kitchen utensils or decorative plates).
- Tabletop. Choose countertops made of natural stone, ceramic tile, or a combination of these.
- Large #ceramic sink perfectly complements your kitchen interior.
Wallpapers and panels in the kitchen in this design are rare. As a rule, the walls are tiled or finished with stone. Mediterranean-style tiles can be laid out in mosaic way. As for the choice of colors, the most common are rich shades of yellow, soft cream, sand, as well as a variety of inclusions of “sunny” tones. Kitchen can also be decorated using various warm colors, which makes it even more cozy during winter season.
A popular element of the ceiling decor are massive wooden beams of gray and dark brown. They are ideal for a spacious kitchen. In terms of the apartment is best to paint the ceiling matte paint beige. Mediterranean style kitchen usually has a large dining area. At the same time, the cooking zone and the dining zone can be separated by an additional work surface or a bar counter.
Mediterranean style bedroom: basic motifs
You should reduce all the decorative elements in the traditional Greek bedroom to a minimum. Of all the most necessary furniture are a bed, dresser, linen closet, and a small cupboard. To add some diversity to the interior, you can use textiles: crisp white linens, colorful rugs, bedspreads, and blankets, as well as the linen curtains in the color of the walls. Furniture in Greek bedroom is mainly in bright colors and woven of cane or pine. Additionally, drawers, linen closets, chairs, and tables should be of the same style.
- Mimic arches with paint, or incorporate arched window mirrors or bookshelves
- Use open shelving in the kitchen to show off dishware, glassware, and accessories
- If your climate permits, choose Mediterranean greenery like potted olive or lemon trees. Otherwise, try placing branches or simple dried flowers in a rustic vase
Mediterranean style living room and its features
The living room is the place for the leisure of all family together or with friends. In Mediterranean countries, such meetings usually accompanied by a meal, so it is decided to combine the living room with the dining area. The table is the main subject in this room. Remember that there are wicker or wooden chairs and tables in the Greek style and the Italian style gravitates to wrought-iron furniture and wooden seats.
Check Out this nautical theme for your home - Decorate Your Home with a nautical theme
First of all, you should choose the right color scheme, but you need to decide which trend will be decisive. If you choose Italian, then give preference to shades of earth: from gray, sand to yellow and terracotta. In the case of the Greek direction, the ideal choice would be white, blue, olive and light terracotta.
Regardless of the country specific style of the living room, make a choice in favor of wooden pieces of furniture. To convey the richness of Italian aesthetics, purchase furniture with elegant wrought-iron elements. The interior of the living room usually includes a low sofa, a couple of chairs, a coffee table, a bookcase or a rack. In addition, you can put a chest of drawers. For decoration, place the lamps and high chairs. Filling the living room with simple “rustic” wooden furniture is quite in the Greek spirit. Wicker chairs and puffs with cotton covers and capes are also allowed. In this case, the furniture should be arranged so that there is enough space for comfortable movement.
As in the bedroom, the floor is usually laid out with ceramic tiles, natural stone, painted wooden boards or laminate with an untreated surface.
Walls and ceiling
If you want to design a living room in this style, it is necessary to exclude any treatment of the walls, except for embossed plaster and painting in a matte shade. Rough wooden beams on the ceiling, a decor element characteristic of the original design, are chosen to match the window and door openings. Chandelier with wrought iron parts need to be acquired only in the case of recreating the Italian style in the living room.
Finished with the renovation works? It’s time to start with the decor. It’s decor that will create comfort in your living room. So feel free to use decorative ceramics: pots, decorative plates, amphoras. Wrought copper candlesticks and lamps would give your living room a special charm of comfort. Do not forget about the bright cushions and soft mats.
Mediterranean-style bathroom: the specifics of the design
Bath walls and ceiling are trimmed with tile in the Mediterranean style. It is advisable to apply the lining of different colors. For example, cover the walls with azure-colored mosaics and the floor with terracotta tiles. So, try to hide all the plumbing and communication in the bathroom on the wall. This is quite practical. It is much easier to make cleaning when the floors are free, as well as to create the visual effect of a spacious room. Pick up the furniture on the same principle: closed or open shelves, wall cabinets, towel holders, and clothes hooks on the doors and walls. Textile is virtually absent. The only one piece is well suited to Mediterranean style waffle towels.
Mediterranean style country house
No other design can best convey the classic charm and beauty of the Mediterranean coast. This solution is one of the most popular all over the world. The question is, how can you successfully convey his idea in your home? If your house is still under construction, it is best to choose the arched shape of the windows and doors. With this solution you will be able to achieve a soft transition between the enclosed space and the exterior. After all, the interior of the house in the Mediterranean style is closely connected with its outdoors.Particular attention should be paid to the porch, stairs, gazebos and patios, which are required. You can start with a graceful wrought fence, supplement the exterior with a fountain or pool. Also, residents of the southern regions widely use forged elements in the exterior design of the house, in such a way that they overlap with the same elements inside the house. Do not forget that the Mediterranean style means rich in greenery. With such a southern design solution in the exterior, you can easily create the atmosphere of a house on the coast.
Regardless of the stylistic focus of the room, opt for wooden pieces of furniture. To convey the richness of Italian aesthetics, opt for furniture with finely wrought iron elements. A living room interior usually includes a low sofa, a couple of armchairs, a coffee table, a bookcase, or a shelving unit. In addition, you can put a chest of drawers. Place lamps and high chairs for decoration.
Choosing a Mediterranean interior, we must remember that any of its directions means simplicity and conciseness. Choose only the three primary colors for painting the floor, walls, and ceiling. For a more sophisticated design, you can mix up and overlaying similar shades with each other. But the classic style always remains the spirit of the country with its unpretentiousness and simplicity. To keep the apartment or house fully in the spirit of the Mediterranean style, it is necessary to choose the right furniture in all the rooms. Thus, integrating into a coherent whole is rather easy: either forged as in Italy, or wicker as in Greece.
Check out this article to know more about Mediterranean Style interiors - 3 Mediterranean Inspired Interiors for your Home