Vastu Shastra is a traditional Hindu system of architecture which literary means “science of architecture”. There are theories of Vastu Shastra describing the principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry. The need for Vastu Shastra is mainly to concentrate positive cosmic energy in the living spaces. However, it should be noted that Vastru Shatra is only a set of guidelines and may not be compulsorily used in all designs. Now let us see some key features of Bedroom design as per Vastu.
Location, shape and size-
- The bedrooms should always be located in the South because the living rooms are supposed to be located in the North of any house. Therefore, bedrooms being a private space should be located away from the spaces meant for entertaining guests.
- The shape of bedrooms should ideally be rectangular for efficient placement of the furniture. Also, the length to breadth ratio should be less than 2 in order to avoid long rooms.
- Talking of the Master Bedroom, it should be slightly bigger than other bedrooms essentially because the parents should psychologically never feel small before anyone else in the home. Also, it should be located in the South-West of the house.
- Children’s bedroom should ideally be located in the East or West side and the Guests’ bedroom may be in the North-West side.
Key features and preferred arrangements-
- The bed should ideally be positioned in a way that the occupant sleeps with his head towards the South.
- The doors should be placed in the East, West or North but not in South-West.
- For windows, the larger window should be in the North or East and the smaller windows should be in the west.
- Any bookshelf should be placed at the West of South-West of the room.
- Dressing table should be placed in the East or North.
- Wardrobes should be located in the North-West or South-West.
- Study tables should face towards the East, North or North-East
- Any photograph, inspiring quote, painting, sculpture or even flowers should be located in a way that they can be seen as we enter the room. This provides a feeling of tranquility and serenity.
- Electronic gadgets should be located in the South-East of the room.
- The sharp corners me be softened by some indoor landscaping. Also, the bed should be kept away from the sharp edges in the room.
- The choice of colors should ideally be pastels and softer tones. Very bright colors should be avoided.
- The North-East side of the room should be left open to allow the beneficial sunlight from the East to engulf the whole room.
Things to be avoided-
- Irregular shapes should be avoided for the bedrooms.
- Beds should not be shaky. It should be of good quality wood.
- Sleeping with the head pointing towards the North should be avoided and the bed should not be placed opposite to the door.
- Divine idols should not be placed in bedrooms. They should be placed in the Puja room.
- Aquariums should not be placed in bedrooms.
- Mirrors should not be placed on the wall opposite the bed as it is believed to reflect our image and hold back our stress instead of releasing it in the morning after we wake up.
- Television sets should be avoided in bedrooms. But in case kept, it should not be directly before the bed as it then acts like a mirror.
- Clutter should be avoided as it represents stagnation.
- Storing things under the bed should be avoided as it gets dusty becomes difficult to clean.
- Slant ceilings or beams should be avoided.